At the Yealm Yacht Club we have an active racing programme which includes yachts, day boats and dinghies of all sorts.
Members may take part in a racing series or choose from a selection of day and weekend races. We also have an active cadets programme for children over the age of eight years old.
Expect a competitive but fun racing attitude which typically ends with a social back at the club where the antics of each race will usually be dissected over a drink and often a delicious Sailors Supper from the bistro!
Yachts– we have at least 20 yachts on the Yealm engaged in the racing programme, ranging from a 24ft racer right up to a 42ft cruiser. The Autumn Series is ever popular while local passage and offshore races are also keenly entered.
More on Yacht Racing
Dayboats– the Wednesday night series from May to September is the primary focus of the day boat racing calendar. The Yealm boasts a surprisingly large fleet of Devon Yawls although all day boats are of course eligible for entry.
More on Dayboat Racing
Dinghies– from Toppers and Lasers to RS Fevers, the dinghy racing calendar caters for all the popular classes.
More on Dinghy Racing
RNLI Passage Race Details
If you have any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Dates for the Diary
The sailing programme details ALL the racing fixtures in the yearly calendar.
- Dayboat evening Series starts 8th May
- RNLI passage race 1st June – this is a race from Plymouth Sound to the Yealm open to all – dinghies, larger day boats like the Devon Yawl and keelboat yachts and is a traditional event which at one time had +50 boats taking part
- Dinghy and Dayboat regatta 9th June
- Trebeurden Race Start 20th June – this is the 29th annual race organised by the club and is open to yachts who sail south to our twin town in Brittany, Trebeurden 100 miles south of here (opposite Roscoff). We may arrange a further race on to Roscoff on Sunday 23rd June if there is sufficient interest.
- Autumn yacht series starts 8th Sept
Full Sailing Programme
All our races are operated according to the RYA guidelines. An Officer of the Day will be appointed for each race and safety boat in accordance with risk assessments.
- Safety Boat Risk Assessment
- Dinghy and Dayboat Risk Assessment
- Yacht Risk Assessment
- Safety Boat Policy
- Safety Boat registration form
- Yacht Crisis Management Plan
- Dinghy Race Officer guidance
- Dinghy dayboat Crisis Management Plan
- 3 Creeks Risk Assessment
- Passage Race risk assessment