This is the updated version of the sailing programme for 2018. If this programme does not open for you, please E-mail email@example.com
At the Yealm Yacht Club we have an active racing programme which includes yachts, day boats and dinghies of all sorts.
Members may take part in a racing series or choose from a selection of day and weekend races. We also have an active cadets programme for children over the age of eight years old.
Expect a competitive but fun racing attitude which typically ends with a social back at the club where the antics of each race will usually be dissected over a drink and often a delicious Sailors Supper from the bistro!
Yachts– we have at least 20 yachts on the Yealm engaged in the racing programme, ranging from a 24ft racer right up to a 42ft cruiser. The Autumn Series is ever popular while local passage and offshore races are also keenly entered.
More on Yacht Racing
Dayboats– the Wednesday night series from May to September is the primary focus of the day boat racing calendar. The Yealm boasts a surprisingly large fleet of Devon Yawls although all day boats are of course eligible for entry.
More on Dayboat Racing
Dinghies– from Toppers and Lasers to RS Fevers, the dinghy racing calendar caters for all the popular classes.
More on Dinghy Racing
Key Dates for the Diary
The sailing programme details ALL the racing fixtures in the yearly calendar.
- RNLI passage race 9th June – this is a race from Plymouth Sound to the Yealm open to all – dinghies, larger day boats like the Devon Yawl and keelboat yachts and is a traditional event which at one time had +50 boats taking part
- Trebeurden Race Start 21st June – this is the 28th annual race organised by the club and is open to yachts who sail south to our twin town in Brittany, Trebeurden 100 miles south of here (opposite Roscoff). It is an overnight race and then there are celebrations before we have another small race on to Roscoff on Sunday 24th June. 2018 Trebeurden Race Poster
- Yawl Nationals 30th June 1st July – should be a turnout of more than 20 boats
- Wreck Race 7th July – finishing in the Yealm
- Eddystone light 8th July – from here to Plymouth
- Dinghy and Dayboat regatta 21st July
- Autumn yacht series starts 9th Sept
Full Sailing Programme
All our races are operated according to the RYA guidelines. An Officer of the Day will be appointed for each race and safety boat in accordance with risk assessments.
- Safety Boat Risk Assessment
- Dinghy and Dayboat Risk Assessment
- Yacht Risk Assessment
- Safety Boat Policy
- Safety Boat_registration form
- Major Incident Plan
- OOD guidance
- 3 Creeks Risk Assessment
- Passage Race risk assessment
New to the village?
Keen to join in the sailing action? Both yachts and day boats are often in need of crew. Strictly speaking, you don’t need to be a member but we do encourage joining up if you’re a regular crew – it also means you don’t miss out on the socials back at the club! If you’d like to get involved, please make yourself known at the clubhouse and email our membership secretary.