Known for its competitive but friendly rivalry, the Wednesday night racing series for day boats remains highly popular and places in the top 10 are all to play for (and hot racing tips equally sought after!).
The racing calendar also has a number of local day races that allow day boats to enjoy competing alongside the wider YYC racing community of yachts and dinghies.
With a large fleet of Devon Yawls, the Devon Yawl Nationals, although not run by YYC, are often held on the Yealm too.
Dates for the Diary
- 2024 Wednesday night series 18:30. Every Wednesday from 15th May – 113th September (inclusive).
- 2024 Devon Yawl Nationals – 22nd/23rd June, to be held this year at Royal Western Yacht Club, Plymouth, more details HERE
- 2024 Sailing Programmes Latest updates published under “Useful Links”
- Dayboat (Wednesday night series) entry form (PDF) (MS Word)
- Dinghy and dayboat combined Notice of Race, Sailing Instructions and entry form (PDF) (MS Word)
- Dinghy & Dayboat Risk Assessment
- Dinghy & Dayboat Crisis Management Plan
- Safety Boat Risk Assessment
How it works
The documentation will tell you all you need to know about the racing. Be sure to read the Sailing Instructions – those who don’t do their turns for infringement of the rules are not popular! The gun for the Wednesday night race starts at 18:30 usually in Wembury Bay so rigging starts on the river typically from 5ish. Once back on the moorings, there’s a keen social gathering at the Clubhouse with a tasty sailors supper available for competitors at a very competitive rate and specials at the bar.
Meanwhile each race is presided over by an Officer Of the Day or OOD who is responsible for setting the course and overseeing the race.
The yacht club has a number of moorings available in the deep water pool for Wednesday night racers. These can be booked at the beginning of the season.
To apply for a race mooring, please apply to a member of the Wednesday Night race committee.